ANVIL versus ELAN

Frenchterp Lists Frenchterplists at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 1 22:26:46 UTC 2008

Dear members of this list,

I would like to ask you a question, which may sound quite simple, but when
asking around people involved in linguistics research, or when browsing the
internet by myself, I cannot find any proper clue to answer it...

What are Anvil's and Elan's pluses and minuses, regarding annotation of sign
language in dialogical setting?

Researchers I asked told me that Anvil has a better ergonomy, others tell me
that Elan "must" be used when one wants to work properly with sign
languages, but when I ask for more elaborated replies, all seems very vague
and blurry...!

I have tried to approach those two tools by myself, but being profoundly
XML-impaired, I couldn't really assess which one would suit my needs best...

I currently work on  French Tactile SL used by Deafblind signers, my corpus
consisting on video captures by one to three cameras. I need to annotate SL
sequences where we see the two signers simultaneously, as my corpus is only
made of dialogues, and most of my work deals with interaction, backchannel
feedback, turn taking...

If you feel that this thread won't be of interest for the members of the
list, please reply to me privately at sandrine.schwartz at gmail.com.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Sandrine Schwartz, PhD Candidate in Linguistics, Paris 8 University, France.