tips for filming signing children in naturalistic settings

I.E.P. Zwitserlood I.Zwitserlood at let.ru.nl
Fri Oct 10 07:50:50 UTC 2008

Hi Louise,
Kids usually get used to the camera(s) after a few recordings, so perhaps a couple of "fake" recordings can be made before the real recording starts. Using multiple camera's is a good idea so that all conversation participants will be in view. If possible, use also a camera recording the situation from a bird's view (perhaps a wide angle lens is necessary). This will help to interpret signs that are not clear from front view recordings or may give information when a signer turns somewhat away from the camera. It also gives a clear overview of who is doing what and responding to whom/what.
Good luck!
Best,
Inge