inventor of TTY dies at 85

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 25 17:15:31 UTC 2009

>>From the New York Times. Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us/23marsters.html

------------

August 23, 2009
James Marsters, Deaf Inventor, Dies at 85
By DENNIS HEVESI

Sign language, lip reading and speech training helped James Marsters get
through college and dental school and made it possible for him to succeed
as an orthodontist. He could communicate very well face to face.

But for most of his first 40 years, the telephone was a barrier.

"All of us in the family, whenever a call came for my dad," his son James
Jr. said on Friday, "we picked up this handset attached to the phone so
that we could listen in and relay to my father what the caller was saying.
He would read our lips and then reply in his own voice."

Dr. Marsters and two deaf colleagues broke that barrier for themselves and
tens of thousands of other hearing-impaired people in 1964 when they
converted an old, bulky, clacking Teletype machine into a device that could
relay a typewritten conversation through a telephone line. It was the first
example of what became commonly known as a TTY and is now, in a greatly
updated and compact version, called a text telephone.

Dr. Marsters died of natural causes at his home in Oakland, Calif., on July
28, his son said. He was 85.

[For the full article go to