What's the deal with SignWriting?

Adam Frost adam at frostvillage.com
Tue Jan 13 03:19:12 UTC 2009

As a native ASL user who is very skilled in SignWriting, I can say
that many people "frown" on SignWriting because it is different and
people are afraid of what is different. As far as the pros and cons,
you pretty much stated it but I will restate it so it is clear.
SignWriting is very clear and precise in writing what you "see", so it
is great for classifiers. As far as it being "too rich" or "easy to
misinterpret", I don't see how that can happen because it has yet to
happen to me. I think it is more a matter of learning it well enough
and most people don't want to have to learn something "different". It
really isn't that difficult to learn. I was writing well written
documents within months, but that is also because I focused on
learning it well.

I know that at one time, if not still, people at the Emmory Lab in San
Deigo used it in research. Hopefully someone there or elsewhere can
help you more. If you have more questions about SignWriting, I can
help as I teach it quite often.

Adam