Antw: [SLLING-L] Computers interpreting ASL

Franz Dotter Franz.Dotter at uni-klu.ac.at
Tue Jan 13 08:28:50 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm always embarrassed how technicians manage to publish results before anything has really be realised (only technically driven research is a big problem in the area of people with special needs). One thing I remember is that about one year or two ago a young technician got the Siemens price for sign language recognition. Looking on the facts, it turned out that his system was able to identify the single units of finger alphabet.

What the Boston colleagues have until now: An idea about how to recognise sign language (no, perhaps not sign language, only single gestures?) and that it would be useful to put that idea into a bilingual "dictionary" (no, not a dictionary, a word list). I'm in favour of technique, but, please stay realistic.

Best Regards

Franz Dotter

University of Klagenfurt
Center for Sign Language and Deaf Communication
Funded by: Provincial government of Carinthia, Bundessozialamt Kaernten, European Social Fund
Head: Franz Dotter (hearing)
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Silke Bornholdt (deaf), Christian Hausch (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer (hearing), Klaudia Krammer (hearing), Christine Kulterer (hearing),  Anita Pirker (deaf), Andrea Skant (hearing), Natalie Unterberger (deaf).
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/zgh
Deaf server (in German): http://deaf.uni-klu.ac.at
Fax: ++43 (0)463 2700 2899
Phone: ++43 (0)463 2700 /2821 (Franz Dotter), /2822 (Andrea Skant), /2823 (Marlene Hilzensauer), /2824 (Klaudia Krammer), /2829 (Christine Kulterer)
Email addresses: firstname.lastname at uni-klu.ac.at

>>> "Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> 01/12/09 4:36  >>>
Hoi,
I found this article in Technology Review, a publication by MIT... I think
you will find it of interest. Given how it works, it should be easy to
connect it to an ASL SignWriting dictionary. This would mean that you can
transcribe what is signed.
Thanks.
    Gerard

http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/21944/?a=f