sign writing systems

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 15 17:15:18 UTC 2009

To the best of my knowledge, neither Stokoe notation nor my expandable ASCII
representation of it ("ASCII-Stokoe notation",
http://www.speakeasy.org/~mamandel/ASCII-Stokoe.html) has ever been used for
everyday writing of ASL.

(I've retitled this thread from "Re: [SLLING-L] Re: SLLING-L Digest, Vol 18,
Issue 11".)

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania

"Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
#Subject: Re: [SLLING-L] Re: SLLING-L Digest, Vol 18, Issue 11
#
#Hoi,
#Are any of these alternatives to SignWriting actually used ... I mean by
#real people for real life purposes ?
#Thanks,
#      Gerard
#
#2009/1/14 Mark A. Mandel <mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu>
#
#> "Joseph Pietro Riolo" <josephpietrojeungriolo at gmail.com> wrote:
#>
#>  ...
#> #In case you don't know, there exist two other writing
#> #system that I am aware of so far.  They are developed
#> #by Dr. Sam Supalla and R. W. Arnold (full name unknown,
#> #http://www.aslian.com/ ).
#>  ...
#>
#>
#> There's Don Newkirk's SignFont (1987), which Sam Supalla used for a while
#> in a
#> school in Arizona. And there's HamNoSys.