Directional Verbs

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 27 05:47:10 UTC 2009

What's clear about this discussion is that this
terminology is confusing.   The underlying
problem is that the linguistic distinctions were
designed for use with a language of a quite
different type, such as English (see Slobin,
2005, 2008).  In my opinion, the terminology is
not appropriate to a signed language such as
ASL.   Signed verbs of the sort under discussion
move from a source to a goal.  It is not
important to the grammar whether those anchoring
points of the motion are animate or inanimate and
whether the motion is physical (e.g. throwing,
putting, giving, walking to, flying to) or not
(e.g. looking at, asking to, scolding,
flattering).  Whenever the starting and/or
stopping point of the motion is a spatial
location to which a meaning (reference) has been
assigned, one can say that the verb is
inflected­-that is, it indicates
source/goal.  Beyond that, the distinctions are
simply unnecessary, and therefore confusing.

Sign language linguistics can advance by
abandoning borrowed grammatical distinctions from
languages like English (but not all spoken
languages) and devising appropriate designations
for grammatical distinctions that are encoded in
the embodied modalities of the language.  All of
the problematic verbs here are directional (in
the everyday understanding of the word).  A verb
that includes a handshape that indicates a
particular type of referent includes a depictive
element, but the verb itself is more than
depictive, because it also has directional
movement.  (In fact, both the handshape and the
directional movement can be considered depictive.)

In a sense, all of the verbs under discussion
involve displacement, if one includes
metaphorical or symbolic displacement.  If an
object that is caused to be displaced ends up in
a particular location--say, in front of a
location that has been established as encoding an
entity--it can be either a verb of putting or a
verb of giving, depending on the execution of the
movement, especially whether it ends in a
hold.  There is no distinction between
"agreement" and "spatial" dislocation here, but
rather a morphological means of indicating the
role played by the goal of the movement with
relation to the referent established at that
goal.  For example, if the cup goes from me and
ends up at a locus established for ‘John’, he can
be either the recipient (‘give’) or the referent
location for the endstate (‘put in front
of’).  If one wishes to uses the terms
"agreement" and "inflection," these terms should
apply equally to verbs like 'put' and verbs like
'give'.  However, there are no "subjects,"
"objects," or "indirect objects" in ASL and other
sign languages such as those used in Europe, China, Japan, and elsewhere.

And if the referent type of the dislocated object
is indicated by a handshape that refers to a
property of that object, then one might refer to
the verb as "depictive," though it would be more
informative to state in what ways the verb is
depictive (handshape, internal movement,
directionality, obligatory nonmanual components,
etc.).  It is also misleading to use the borrowed
term “classifer” for handshapes that refer to an
entity by means of one of its properties (e.g.
shape), but that’s an argument for a different
discussion.  In the Berkeley Transcription System
(BTS) (Hoiting & Slobin, 2002) such handshapes
are more objectively referred to as “property markers.”

References are listed below.  They are
downloadable at
<http://ihd.berkeley.edu/Slobin.htm>http://ihd.berkeley.edu/Slobin.htm
[click on Slobin-Papers on sign language].

Dan Slobin

         Hoiting, N., & Slobin, D. I. (2002).
Transcription as a tool for understanding: The
Berkeley Transcription System for sign language
research (BTS). In G. Morgan & B. Woll (Eds.),
Directions in sign language acquisition (pp.
55-75). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
         Slobin, D. I. (2005).  Issues of
linguistic typology in the study of sign language
development of deaf children.  In B. Schick, M.
Marschark, & P. E. Spencer (Eds.), Advances in
the sign language development of deaf children
(pp. 20-45).  Oxford University Press.
         Slobin, D. I. (2008).  Breaking the
molds: Signed languages and the nature of human
language.  Sign Language Studies, 8, 114-130.

At 03:01 PM 3/26/2009, you wrote:
>Sarah,
>
>I believe you're confusing some of the
>terminology. "Indicating verbs" refer to the
>class of both "agreeing" and "spatial verbs".
>"Depicting verbs" are just classifiers.
>"Directional verbs", I believe, are the same
>thing as agreeing verbs, but I would avoid that
>term as it is vague and could be easily
>misconstrued. The same thing with "inflecting".
>Technically, both agreeing and spatial verbs
>undergo some sort of inflection, though people
>usually mean just agreeing verbs when they use
>the term inflecting. "Agreeing verbs" inflect for subject and/or object.
>
>So, in your two examples, the lexical sign THROW
>is a spatial verb, and therefore an indicating
>verb. I do not think it is "directional" (i.e.
>agreeing). For your cup example I'm not sure how
>the sentence is intended to be signed. If your
>using a classifier in a C handshape to show the
>displacement of the cup, then that would be a
>depicting verb. If, however, the sentence were
>"CUP, aMOVEb" then MOVE again is a spatial verb.
>
>Is that clear?
>
>Jonathan Udoff
>SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Language and Communicative Disorders
>
>Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience
>6495 Alvarado Road, Suite 200
>San Diego, CA 92120
><http://emmoreylab.sdsu.edu>http://emmoreylab.sdsu.edu
>Voice/VP: (619) 594-8067
>

>2009/3/26 Sarah Hafer <<mailto:charityh at comcast.net>charityh at comcast.net>
>I got a question about terminology used for
>directional verbs, indicating verbs, inflecting
>verbs, spatial verbs, and depicting verbs.
>
>To me, it appears that inflecting verbs and
>indicating verbs are used to specifically denote
>that these are not classifier predicates, which
>would fall under the spatial/depicting verb
>category. If that is so about indicating and
>inflecting verbs, i suppose directional verbs
>could apply to any type of verbs as long as they
>are directional. Say, if i signed a cup is being
>moved from point A to point B, that is both a
>directional verb and a depicting/spatial verb.
>Yet, if i signed that person A is throwing
>something (not using a classifier here but the
>THROW sign in ASL for general) to person B, that
>is considered an indicating verb and also a directional verb.
>
>Am i getting the terminology use right here?
>
>--
>Sarah

Dan I. Slobin, Professor of the Graduate School
Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics

Department of Psychology        email: slobin at berkeley.edu
3210 Tolman #1650                 phone (Dept):  1-510-642-5292
University of California             phone (home): 1-510-848-1769
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650         fax: 1-510-642-5293
USA                                      http://ihd.berkeley.edu/Slobin.htm