Directional Verbs

Joseph Pietro Riolo josephpietrojeungriolo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:04:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Patricia Raswant
<patricia.raswant at gallaudet.edu> wrote:

> I have a question.  Why do linguists compare ASL and other signed
> languages to spoken languages?

So that the signed languages can continued to be
recognized as true languages.  If there are too few
similarities between the signed and spoken languages,
the signed languages are in danger of losing the
status of true language.

The history of linguistics is driven by ideological (or
philosophical), political and paradigmatic forces.

A good example of how the linguistics evolves
is whether iconicity is considered to be part of
language.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
josephpietrojeungriolo at gmail.com

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.