Directional Verbs

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 27 22:43:59 UTC 2009

In fact, Scott Liddell (among others) does this precisely in his
pathbreaking book (Liddell, S. 2003. Grammar, gestures, and meaning
in American Sign Language.  Cambridge University Press).  On the
basis of detailed analysis of ASL, he proposes ways in which our
conceptions of spoken language--and language in general--need to be
revised.  He concludes:
"The knowledge that sign languages are real human languages allows us
to take a broader look at the concept 'language'. ... It is possible,
of course, that ASL in particular, and signed languages more
generally, are organized differently than vocally produced languages
... It is much more likely that spoken and signed languages both make
use of multiple types of semiotic elements in the language signal,
but that our understanding of what constitutes language has been much
too narrow" (p. 362).
Dan Slobin

At 03:08 PM 3/27/2009, you wrote:
>OK, Susan, if what you said is true, why don't they compare spoken
>languages to sign languages rather than vice versa?
>
>2009/3/27 Fischer Susan <susan.fischer at rit.edu>:
> > Because they're languages.
> > Susan D. Fischer
> > Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
> > drword563 (Skype)
> > drword354 (iChat/AIM)
> > +1-714-908-9824 (fax)
> > Center for Research on Language
> > UCSD

Dan I. Slobin, Professor of the Graduate School
Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics

Department of Psychology        email: slobin at berkeley.edu
3210 Tolman #1650                 phone (Dept):  1-510-642-5292
University of California             phone (home): 1-510-848-1769
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650         fax: 1-510-642-5293
USA                                      http://ihd.berkeley.edu/Slobin.htm