Directional Verbs / signed vs. spoken languages

Patricia Raswant patricia.raswant at gallaudet.edu
Sat Mar 28 13:59:08 UTC 2009

OK, Susan, I stand corrected.  Yes, I agree that the modality of all
languages have the same function--to express and to communicate.  What
I have in mind is the delivery of a signed language and a spoken
language is divergent.  Rather, I usually look for the closest
equivalents in translations since most of the languages, IMHO, are
impossible to compare due to cultural differences and so forth.  For
me, how is it possible to compare an aural language to a visual
language?

Now, considering the directional verb in ASL, depending on how it is
expressed, it can be SVO or a combination of a action verb and a
preposition phrase.  It has an inflection when a continuing verb is
being used.  And I can argue that this is a unique structure and can't
be compared to a spoken language.  We should accept it for what it is.