SLLING-L Digest - 24 Feb 2011 to 25 Feb 2011 (#2011-10)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 26 13:22:10 UTC 2011

The comment of signing along with text got me to thinking that if one taught the
Deaf to read their own language on paper it would go a long way to translating
one text into another as one could show the grammatical relationships clearly.

SignWriting allows that so that a person can write what they think they are
comprehending, such as your Deaf person signing to themselves, and compare it,
with the teacher, to the actual text.

Seeing it anecdotally doesn't work, seeing it with real signs on paper compared
to real spoken language on paper has been shown in extensive studies to have
that "light bulb of understanding" go on in the student's head of where they are
missing meaning from attempting GLOSS without understanding.

Charles

________________________________
From: SLLING-L automatic digest system <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU>
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Sat, February 26, 2011 12:00:01 AM
Subject: SLLING-L Digest - 24 Feb 2011 to 25 Feb 2011 (#2011-10)

There is 1 message totalling 175 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Query from a colleague

Date:    Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:13:17 -0500
From:    twflynn at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Query from a colleague

----------MB_8CDA2C1D847B8FA_11E0_11DBC_webmail-d130.sysops.aol.com

When I taught reading to Deaf college students eight or ten years ago, I ex=
plained to them that non-Deaf people have a little voice in their head - or=
at least I had one - and when I read, I could sort of 'hear' that voice in=
my head speaking the sentences I was reading. I asked them what went on in=
their heads when they were reading - did they 'see' hands signing or what.=
Three of them told me that the words on the pge made pictures in their hea=
ds (as long as they understood the words)  - one guy said something like, "=
If I see d-o-g, I see a dog in my head, and then if I see r-u-n, then I see=
the dog running."=20

It's not my intuition, and it sure don't count as research, but it might be=
something of a start.=20

BTW, I did have one Deaf student who signed while he read - he threw a sign=
for every word he said, so it sure wasn't ASL, and based on his responses =
about the readings, I don't think he understood them even decently - someti=
mes not at all. So I'd say that signing along with the text - be it on the =
hands or in the head - didn't help with decoding the text, but it could be =
that what he was doing physically was just an exhibition/demonstration of w=
hat was going on in his head - like reading aloud only signing aloud. I dun=
no.=20