Help requested - early recognition of sign language - when?

Shane K. Gilchrist shane.gilchrist at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 20 19:11:48 UTC 2011

Everyone,

Raymond Lee, A deaf historian in the UK, asked an interesting question on
Deaf-UK-Chat: please read below.

I would like to hear your views if any?

Shane

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Philocophus <philocophus at meus.demon.co.uk>
Date: 19 June 2011 19:51
Subject: [deaf-uk-chat] Help - early recognition of sign language

Hi,

I have been doing a bit of research into Deaf history - with the recognition
of sign language as the theme.

Recognising signs as a language did not begin in the recent past. I have
been able to unearth a little gem in a book which I purchased for 50p - yes,
50p - in a local bookshop in Holmfirth. The book, A MANUAL OF THE MOTHER
TONGUE by H. Marmaduke Hewitt and George Beach (published 1891, W. H. Allen,
London) stated under Definitions on page 1 that ...

*Language*
is the expression of thought by sounds or signs. The sounds employed may be
either the human voice or any acoustical system of signalling.
The signs used may be either different combination of forms, as in writing,
printing, etc., or motions as used by the dumb.
The senses appealed to by language are the ear and the eye, and, in the case
of the educated blind, the touch also.

This, to me, is a recognition of sign language way back in 1891! Comments
welcome, and has anyone encountered earlier publications that recognised
signs as language?

Philocophus