a Linguistics of ASL question -- grammar

ben.karlin@yahoo.com ben.karlin at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 4 20:34:02 UTC 2011

If asked the question EAT-FINISH WHO? wouldn't EAT-FINISH JOHN be a
grammatical response?  Or in conversation especially with children a series
like EAT-FINISH MOMMY. EAT-FINISH DADDY. EAT-FINISH JOHN. could this not
also be allowed?
   That kind of stereotypical structure is not unheard of with children or
the elderly.  It also shows up in stories.

This is my sense of how things work. Have I got it wrong?

Ben Karlin
St Louis, MO

-----Original message-----
From: Albert Bickford <albert_bickford at SIL.ORG>
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Sent: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 20:15:26 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: a Linguistics of ASL question -- grammar

Another way to think about the situation is that the claim that VS order
is impossible in intransitive clauses in ASL refers specifically to full
(not pronominal) subjects.  So, *EAT-FINISH JOHN would be claimed to be
bad.  It is commonly the case that pronouns in languages (especially
unstressed pronouns) can show up in places where nouns cannot, so claims
about word order possibilities have to make clear whether they are
talking about the possible positions of full NPs or also pronouns.

Albert Bickford
SIL International (Mexico program and Signed Language Leadership Team)
albert_bickford at sil.org

On 2011/03/04 12:37 PM, Grushkin, Donald A wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Susan.
>
> If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that in "EAT-FINISH",
the subject (me) is implied or "understood", so the PRO.1 is a copy of the
implied subject?
[SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU] On Behalf Of Fischer Susan
[susan.fischer at RIT.EDU]
> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 10:13 AM
> To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
> Subject: Re: a Linguistics of ASL question -- grammar
>
> Sentences like that could be analyzed as an example of subject pronoun
copy (discussed by Padden), since first person subject is often zero, and as
far as I can tell, has no relation to the presence of FINISH.   It would be
restricted to unstressed pronouns (you couldn't substitute MYSELF for IX1,
for example).  I actually ta