Etymology of Numbers in ASL?

Adam Schembri A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 29 22:14:07 UTC 2011

This may be relevant (it's about evidence that ASL is a creole of LSF and other sign language input by drawing on data provided by the ASL number sign system):
Fischer, S. D. (1996). By the numbers: Language-internal evidence for creolization. In W. Edmondson (Ed.), International Review of Sign Lingustics, Volume 1.
Cheers,
Adam
--
Associate Professor Adam Schembri
Director, National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language
La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia
Tel: +61 3 9479 2887 | Fax: +61 3 9479 3074 | www.latrobe.edu.au/nids

From: Julie Hochgesang <julie.hochgesang at GALLAUDET.EDU<mailto:julie.hochgesang at GALLAUDET.EDU>>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:30:44 +1100
To: "SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU<mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU>" <SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU<mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU>>
Subject: Etymology of Numbers in ASL?

I'm looking for historical information on numbers in ASL. I'm familiar with Liddell's work on numeral incorporation but am looking for the etymology behind the number signs themselves in ASL. If anyone could send me any references, it'd be much appreciated.

Best,
Julie

--
Julie Hochgesang, MA
Instructor, ASL and Deaf Studies Department