Etymology of Numbers in ASL?

Nancy Frishberg nancyf at FISHBIRD.COM
Thu Mar 31 14:39:48 UTC 2011

My recollection is that Ruth Loew also did work on ASL numbers, and
showed sources for some (regional) variations.
I believe she's now at ETS in Princeton NJ, but don't have a current
email address. [Ruth, do you read this list?]

And the wonderful resource that has been the International
Bibliography at Hamburg still returns the message "Die Webseite ist
wegen umfangreicher Wartungsarbeiten bis ca. Frühjahr 2011 nicht
erreichbar."

  -- Nancy

On Mar 29, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Fischer Susan wrote:

> There's some historical data in a paper of mine.  Here's the
> reference, which Gallaudet library should have:
> Fischer, S. (1996).  By the numbers: Language-Internal Evidence for
> Creolization.  In W. Edmondson & R. Wilbur, eds, International
> Review of Sign Linguistics, vol.1. Pp. 1-22. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
>
> Susan D. Fischer
> Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
>
> Center for Research on Language
> UCSD
>

> On Mar 29, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Julie Hochgesang wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for historical information on numbers in ASL. I'm
>> familiar with Liddell's work on numeral incorporation but am
>> looking for the etymology behind the number signs themselves in
>> ASL. If anyone could send me any references, it'd be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Julie
>>
>> --
>> Julie Hochgesang, MA
>> Instructor, ASL and Deaf Studies Department
>> Doctoral student, Linguistics Department
>> Gallaudet University
>>
>> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Nancy Frishberg +1 650 804 5800 mobile
nancyf at fishbird.com
Twitter: @nancyf
Blog: www.fishbird.com