question about 6 configurations of SignWriting

Mon May 2 20:41:40 UTC 2011

Hello Claudia and everyone on the SLLING List -

I am happy to answer your questions in detail, Claudia. Do you know about the SignWriting List? I believe it would be more appropriate for me to answer your questions on the SignWriting List, unless it would be ok with other SLLING members that I respond here as well?

Here is information about joining the SignWriting List, where technical questions on SignWriting symbols are very very welcome! I can explain the symbols in detail... I look forward to seeing your questions on the SW List, and anyone is welcome to join...

1. To Join the SignWriting List, go to:
http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1

2. To post messages to the SignWriting List, email to:
SW-L at listserv.valenciacc.edu

3. SignWriting List Archives and Help:

The symbols have nothing to do with the feet! smile...I will prepare an answer for you on the SignWriting List now... The term "Heel of Hand" is a SignWriting term that means that we are seeing the wrist from the front view and the hand is hidden behind it...I will post a diagram on the SignWriting List for you ....

Thank you for your question! smile

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle

SignWriting Wiki
Wiki-style Articles in Sign Languages
http://www.signbank.org/wiki

SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions...

SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

SignWriting Encyclopedia Projects
Writing Encyclopedias in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/encyclopedia

--------

On May 2, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Claudia S. Bianchini wrote:

> Hello
> I'm Claudia Savina Bianchini and I'm a PhD student at ISTC-CNR (in the team created by +Elena Pizzuto+), in Rome.
> I'm doing a research on SignWriting and I've a question about some SW configurations.
> There are 6 strange configurations (where there is a deficit of possible orientation) and in those 6 I really can't understand how I've to put my fingers...
> Is there someone that can explain them to me?
> The configurations are (from ISWA-2008):
> http://img148.imageshack.us/f/presentazionestandard1s.jpg/ (please click this link if you can't view the picture)
>

> My problem (for glyphes from 1 to 7) is that I've searched everywhere but I can't find a translation for "heel" that has nothing to do with feet. So my question is: is there feet's configuration on SW? and, if yes... why? I've never seen any deaf making configurations with their feet!
> And I really can't understand the explanation for glyphe 8.
>
> Maybe all this problem is caused by my horrible English?!?!
>
> Thanks a lot to all
>
> Claudia S. Bianchini
> PhD Student
> Univ. Paris 8 / Univ. Studi Perugia / ISTC-CNR-Roma
> (chiadu14 at tiscali.it)
>

> Non temiamo alcun confronto: Tiscali ha l'Adsl più veloce d'Italia!
> Risparmia con Tutto Incluso Light: Voce + Adsl 20 mega a soli 17,95 € al mese per 12 mesi.
> http://abbonati.tiscali.it/telefono-adsl/prodotti/tc/tuttoincluso_light/?WT.mc_id=01fw

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org