Signs2Go: Learning one sign language through another

Jens Heßmann fries-hessmann at T-ONLINE.DE
Mon May 16 05:54:45 UTC 2011

Thank you for the encouraging response, Emily, and quite right, Adam, as this was a European project, funded by EU money, there is no ASL. However, adding ASL or other sign languages as teaching languages, or indeed applying the framework to develop a learning tool for other sign languages than BSL, is something envisaged in the project. Basically, the project tried to enforce the idea that (a) individual sign languages can and should be taught as foreign languages for Deaf sign language users, and (b) the native sign language of the learner can play a useful role in the learning process, circumventing the need for any spoken or written language. So, we would love to see a Signs2Go 2.0, teaching DGS on the basis of ASL, or a Signs2Go 3.0, teaching ASL on the basis of any of the world's sign languages, etc. ... :-)

Jens