Agreement with SAME

Itamar Kastner itamar at NYU.EDU
Thu Apr 5 02:51:22 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of signed languages in which the signs
for SAME, SIMILAR or IDENTICAL can mark agreement with the elements they
are equating, as ASL SAME does.

For those unfamiliar with it, in ASL a Y handshape can move between two
indices in space to indicate that their referents are similar, a-SAME-b
(especially when one of them is the signer, 1-SAME-2, in a construction
meaning ME-TOO or SAME-HERE); or, alternatively, the sign can move to a
lesser degree in neutral space without agreeing with any object, in similar
fashion to a 'plain verb'.

I have not been able to find anything about this in the literature and I'd
be curious to know if a similar pattern exists in other languages.

Thanks,
Itamar

--
phd student, nyu linguistics