SLLING-L Digest - 31 Mar 2012 to 4 Apr 2012 (#2012-33)

Nyst, V.A.S. v.a.s.nyst at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Apr 5 09:52:08 UTC 2012

Dear Itamar,
As far as I know it is not possible to modify the sign meaning 'same'
for agreement in the sign languages I am working on, i.e. Adamorobe SL
(Ghana) and Malian SL as used in Bamako.
MSL: SAME is made with one or two V hands closing to an H hand in space
AdaSL SAME: upright V hand repeates a short lateral path movement +
[fff] on the mouth
Greetings,
Victoria

-----Original Message-----
From: linguists interested in signed languages
[mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of SLLING-L
automatic digest system
Sent: donderdag 5 april 2012 6:00
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: SLLING-L Digest - 31 Mar 2012 to 4 Apr 2012 (#2012-33)

Topics of the day:

  1. Agreement with SAME (2)

Date:    Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:51:22 -0400
From:    Itamar Kastner <itamar at NYU.EDU>
Subject: Agreement with SAME

--f46d0447a2b5df650504bce59f99

Dear all,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of signed languages in which the
signs for SAME, SIMILAR or IDENTICAL can mark agreement with the
elements they are equating, as ASL SAME does.

For those unfamiliar with it, in ASL a Y handshape can move between two
indices in space to indicate that their referents are similar, a-SAME-b
(especially when one of them is the signer, 1-SAME-2, in a construction
meaning ME-TOO or SAME-HERE); or, alternatively, the sign can move to a
lesser degree in neutral space without agreeing with any object, in
similar fashion to a 'plain verb'.

I have not been able to find anything about this in the literature and
I'd be curious to know if a similar pattern exists in other languages.

Thanks,
Itamar

--
phd student, nyu linguistics
https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/public

--f46d0447a2b5df650504bce59f99

si= gned languages in which the signs for SAME, SIMILAR or IDENTICAL can
mark a= greement with the elements they are equating, as ASL SAME
does.<br><br>For = those unfamiliar with it, in ASL a Y handshape can
move between two indices=  in space to indicate that their referents are
similar, a-SAME-b (especiall= y when one of them is the signer,
1-SAME-2, in a construction meaning ME-TO= O or SAME-HERE); or,
alternatively, the sign can move to a lesser degree in=  neutral space
without agreeing with any object, in similar fashion to a &#= 39;plain
verb'.<br>

and = I'd be curious to know if a similar pattern exists in other
languages.<=

<a
href=3D"https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/public">https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/
=

--f46d0447a2b5df650504bce59f99--

------------------------------

--Apple-Mail=_8F878EA4-8DB5-4AC9-8934-F49AFC8B5003

Japanese Sign Language MO/ONAJI is performed with two hands (thumb and =
forefinger of each hand closes and opens rapidly; hands are placed at =
the locations of the two arguments.

Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu

Center for Research on Language
UCSD

On Apr 4, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Itamar Kastner wrote:

> Dear all,
>=20
> I was wondering whether anyone knew of signed languages in which the =
signs for SAME, SIMILAR or IDENTICAL can mark agreement with the =
elements they are equating, as ASL SAME does.
>=20
> For those unfamiliar with it, in ASL a Y handshape can move between =
two indices in space to indicate that their referents are similar, =
a-SAME-b (especially when one of them is the signer, 1-SAME-2, in a =
construction meaning ME-TOO or SAME-HERE); or, alternatively, the sign =
can move to a lesser degree in neutral space without agreeing with any =
object, in similar fashion to a 'plain verb'.
>=20
> I have not been able to find anything about this in the literature and

>=
I'd be curious to know if a similar pattern exists in other languages.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Itamar
>=20
> --=20
> phd student, nyu linguistics
> https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/public

--Apple-Mail=_8F878EA4-8DB5-4AC9-8934-F49AFC8B5003

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
">Japanese Sign Language MO/ONAJI is performed with two hands (thumb and
= forefinger of each hand closes and opens rapidly; hands are placed at
= the locations of the two arguments.<div><br><div =
apple-content-edited=3D"true"> <span class=3D"Apple-style-span"
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent:
= 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
word-spacing: = 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div>Susan D. =
Fischer</div><div><a =
href=3D"mailto:Susan.Fischer at rit.edu">Susan.Fischer at rit.edu</a></div><di
v>=
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></span></span>
= class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
dir=3D"ltr">Dear all,<br><br>I was wondering whether anyone knew of =
signed languages in which the signs for SAME, SIMILAR or IDENTICAL can =
mark agreement with the elements they are equating, as ASL SAME =
does.<br><br>For those unfamiliar with it, in ASL a Y handshape can move
= between two indices in space to indicate that their referents are =
similar, a-SAME-b (especially when one of them is the signer, 1-SAME-2,
= in a construction meaning ME-TOO or SAME-HERE); or, alternatively, the
= sign can move to a lesser degree in neutral space without agreeing
with = any object, in similar fashion to a 'plain verb'.<br>

and I'd be curious to know if a similar pattern exists in other =
linguistics<br>

<a =
href=3D"https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/public">https://files.nyu.edu/ik747/
pu=

--Apple-Mail=_8F878EA4-8DB5-4AC9-8934-F49AFC8B5003--