Agreement with SAME

Mike Morgan mwmbombay at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 7 11:15:27 UTC 2012

Indian Sign Language (aka Indian  / or at least Delhi & Bombay
dialects of Indo-Pakistani Sign Language???) have separate words for
SAME and for SIMILAR, but both work much like Japanese Sign Language,
by being two handed signs, with the LOCATION of each hand "agreeing"
with the argument location.
Handshape for SAME is V V
Handshape for SIMILAR is G G

(and, Nepali Sign Language, which has been claimed by some to be of
the same language family, or maybe even a dialect of the same language
as I(P)SL, has a completely different sign, which CANNOT show
agreement.

HOWEVER, if we were to have  a context, such as "same age" usign a
sign which might be translated as SAME-LEVEL, then we DO have
agreement in NSL as well... but not with the more general sign SAME...
and coincidentally is the "same sign" agreeing in the same way as
JSL/NS sign for same.)

--
mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)