Perception study -- ASL vs. Gestures

Woll, Bencie b.woll at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Apr 20 16:14:04 UTC 2012

This paper is an fMRI study which looks at processing of bookies' Tic-Tac compared to processing BSL.

MacSweeney M, Campbell R,  Woll B, Giampietro V, David AS, McGuire PK, Calvert GA, Brammer MJ (2004) Dissociating linguistic and non-linguistic gestural communication in the brain. Neuroimage 22(4):1605-18.

Bencie Woll BA, MA, PhD
Director, Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre UCL
49 Gordon Square
London WC1H 0PD
www.dcal.ucl.ac.uk
+44 20 7679 8670 (voice)
+44 20 7679 8691 (fax)
+44 20 7679 8693 (Minicom/TDD)
+44 792 024 7640 (Mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Grushkin, Donald A
Sent: 20 April 2012 16:48
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Perception study -- ASL vs. Gestures

Has there ever been a study investigating whether nonsigners with no exposure to ASL or other signed languages can detect the difference between gestures and natural signed languages such as ASL?  I seem to think I did come across something like that once, but cannot rememmber where or who, if it's not a figment of my imagination.

--Don Grushkin