Perception study -- ASL vs. Gestures

Myriam Vermeerbergen mvermeer at MAC.COM
Tue Apr 24 04:49:55 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

I agree with Adam's last point.

Some years ago, my colleague Eline Demey and myself published a paper on the comparison of simultaneous constructions in signed languages to instances of speech + co-speech gesture. The paper also includes an introduction to gesture and different types of gesture.

The reference is:
Vermeerbergen, M. & Demey, E. 2007. Sign + Gesture = Speech + Gesture? Comparing Aspects of Simultaneity in Flemish Sign Language to Instances of Concurrent Speech and Gesture. In: Vermeerbergen, M, Leeson, L., Crasborn, O. (Eds.), Simultaneity in Signed Languages: Form and Function. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, p. 257-282.

Feel free to contact me if you would like me to provide you with a copy.

Best wishes,

Myriam

dr. Myriam Vermeerbergen

LESSIUS/ K.ULeuven
Subfaculty of Language and Communication
Sint Andriesstraat 2
2000 ANTWERPEN
BELGIUM
myriam.vermeerbergen at lessius.eu