statistics on official recognition of SLs?

Tom Humphries thumphries at UCSD.EDU
Tue Jan 31 23:14:27 UTC 2012

What seems clear is it's better not to strive for one number that is
meaningful in all contexts. I think we have an obligation to use accurate
numbers with accurate definitions of the numbers.  There are consequences
in different contexts.  When language programs in colleges and universities
need or use these numbers, for example, it may be that they are interested
in the number of signers, the number of learners, and the number of people
who have completed ASL courses.  That would yield specific numbers.  In
another context, in K-12 education, for example, the number might be
different and might include only school age deaf/Deaf signers and possibly
their parents and be more flexible in including signed English varieties.
 For Linguists, the number may be native or near native signers of ASL.
 Context does matter and there are consequences quite serious to the
hopes,aspirations, and safety of deaf/Deaf people (there are many ways
under or over reporting numbers of users in various contexts can do harm).

--
Tom Humphries
Associate Professor &
thumphries at ucsd.edu