SW-HamNoSys

Tue Jul 3 13:57:07 UTC 2012

On 7/3/12 8:30 AM, Dan Parvaz wrote:
> It sounds like the user-contributed corpora could use a little
> "smoothing" in the form of a normalization step (manual, automated, or a bit of
> each) that standardizes the orthography a bit for purposes of concordance-
> building, search, etc.

Hi Dan,

Very true.  I am almost ready to add normalization functions to
SignPuddle.  They will be a combination of manual and automated.

Last year I had a breakthrough with approximate searching for
SignWriting.  Given any sign, the search routines can find all other
signs that are variant spellings based on position and order.  The
searching uses regular expressions and is very fast.

It will be up to the end user to decide if the signs returned from the
search routines are meaningful variant that should be left alone or if
the signs returned are meaningless variants that should be normalized to
a common spelling.

Regards,
-Steve