AW: Antw: Re: SW-HamNoSys

Stefan W öhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Thu Jul 5 09:15:38 UTC 2012

Hi Franz and everyone,

maybe that I do not understand your point. If I sign to my deaf student in
DGS and ask him to translate this and to write this in German he is asked to
write the sentence or question in spoken language with correct grammar and
spelling.

Now I do not sign but offer the same message in a written form. With this
brilliant new software Delegs we can take signs from the SignPuddle
dictionary and can create DGS documents in order to support the deaf student
to improve spoken language skills.

Hearing can practice ad improve DGS as well ...

There are different steps within this curriculum. Very often I offer in the
beginning exact signed German written in GebaerdenSchrift / Sutton
SignWriting including the mouthings.

Well the mouthings are so important. Not only in exact signed German (LBG)

"...But the fact remains that these hints do not represent default mouthings
as they are used in DGS;"

Well from my point of view and after looking at soooo many DGS performances
I disagree. In DGS these mouthings are very much part of DGS.

Without these information it is not easy to understand.. smile. And of
course beside these mouthings that represent at least a part of a German
word we can see mouth-gesture - ... no problem with that. Valerie Suton
offers lots of options to document these non manual hints.

All best

Stefan