Place-name sign in Austrian Sign Language

Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Wed Jul 18 07:20:03 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

The Centre for Sign Language and Deaf Communication of Klagenfurt University is happy to announce the placement of Austrian Sign Language at the place-name sign of our university. Maybe it is the first sign worldwide to contain also the sign language variant of the place-name?

Being able to use a place-name out of your own language officially is always a symbolic act. Especially for minorities it signalises that also their members can claim to be "at home here".

We want to thank our university for giving us the opportunity to state that we are included here. We also want to thank all our supporters for help at the right time and our colleagues for the scientific communications.

If the attached photos  (the four signs telling "Alps Adria University Klagenfurt") are not distributed within this mail, you may look at
ftp://fzgs.uni-klu.ac.at/placenamesign (accessible without password)

P.S.: SignWriting should be added, we know.

P.S. 2: At the exact time of the application of the sign there was a thunderstorm. Everyone may interpret that individually.

Best Regards

Franz Dotter

University of Klagenfurt
Center for Sign Language and Deaf Communication
Funded by: Provincial government of Carinthia, Bundessozialamt Kaernten
Head: Franz Dotter (hearing)
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Silke Bornholdt (deaf),  Luzia Gansinger (hearing), Simone Greiner-Ogris (hearing) Andrea Grilz (hearing, on maternity leave), Christian Hausch (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer (hearing), Klaudia Krammer (hearing), Christine Kulterer (hearing), Anita Pirker (deaf), Nathalie Slavicek (hard of hearing), Natalie Unterberger (deaf)
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/zgh
Fax: ++43 (0)463 2700 2899
Phone: ++43 (0)463 2700 /2821 (Franz Dotter),/2823 (Marlene Hilzensauer), /2824 (Klaudia Krammer), /2829 (Christine Kulterer)
Email addresses: firstname.lastname at uni-klu.ac.at