death of sign language

Adam Schembri A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 27 00:46:20 UTC 2012

Wikipedia provides a nice overview of this issue (how sustainable the situation described in the last sentence is over the long-term is unclear, however):

"An endangered language is a language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language> that is at risk of falling out of use. If it loses all its native speakers, it becomes a dead language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_death>. If eventually no one speaks the language at all it becomes an "extinct language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_language>".
….

While there is no definite threshold for identifying a language as endangered, three main criteria are used as guidelines:

  1.  The number of speakers currently living.
  2.  The mean age of native and/or fluent speakers.
  3.  The percentage of the youngest generation acquiring fluency with the language in question.

Some languages, such as those in Indonesia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia>, may have tens of thousands of speakers but may be endangered because children are no longer learning them, and speakers are in the process of shifting to using the national language<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_language> Indonesian<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_language> in place of local languages.

In contrast, a language with only 100 speakers might be considered very much alive if it is the primary language of a community, and is the first (or only) language of all children in that community, actually spoken."

Adam

--
Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, PhD
Director | National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language