death of sign language

Adam Schembri A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 27 20:51:14 UTC 2012

The UNESCO 'language vitality' scale is discussed in The Cambridge Handbook of Endangered Languages (2011), edited by Peter K. Austin & Julia Sallabank:
http://www.cambridge.org/aus/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521882156

I'd be very interested to hear what you're working on, Ulrike, and what aspects of the language situation you are proposing need to be adapted for sign languages. The importance of inter-generational transmission is important in the UNESCO definition, but this of course comes to mind as problematic in the sign language case (in many communities). Deaf communities also frequently appear to be subject to significant language planning work, as we are seeing the Arabic-speaking world at present. . .

Adam Schembri
Director | National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language
La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia
Tel : +61 3 9479 2887 | Mob: +61 432 840 744 |http://www.adamschembri.net/webpage/Welcome.html

From: Ulrike Zeshan <UZeshan at UCLAN.AC.UK<mailto:UZeshan at UCLAN.AC.UK>>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:50:50 +0000
To: <SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU<mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>>
Subject: Re: death of sign language

HI, UNESCO has had a project on language endangerment, and a methodology for assessing language vitality was developed by the UNESCO expert group in 2003.

Web link:

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/endangered-languages/language-vitality/

This can apply to sign languages in principle, but a number of questions for assessment of the language situation need to be adapted for sign languages. We have started doing some work on this with UNESCO and WFD.

Ulrike