death of sign language

Barbara Gerner De Garcia barbara.gerner.de.garcia at GALLAUDET.EDU
Wed Mar 28 15:46:12 UTC 2012

 It is a serious concern that sign languages such as AUSLAN are endangered
as the number of children using them diminishes. But the unique thing about
sign languages, is that new sign languages emerge adding to the linguistic
diversity of the world. In the case of spoken languages, they only die and
disappear. From a linguistic ecology point of view (Skutnabb-Kangas and
others), this is good news.  But I don't want to in any way dismiss the
tragedy of endangered sign languages.

Barbara Gerner de Garcia

--
Dr. Barbara Gerner de Garcia, Professor and Chair
Department of Educational Foundations and Research

Phone: 202-651-5207