Colloquium on sign L2 acquisition at EUROSLA 2013

Ortega-Delgado, Gerardo g.ortega at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Aug 13 15:14:02 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw to your attention that our colloquium Second language learning in the visual modality: from phonology to narratives was accepted for the 23rd conference of the European Second Language Association. This conference will take place in Amsterdam from 28 to 31 August, 2013 and will consist of four talks:

Learning visual sounds: The role of sign structure and iconicity in the emergence of sign L2 phonology
Gerardo Ortega, Asli Özyürek & Gary Morgan

Breaking into sign language: The gestural and visuo-spatial properties of classifier constructions in British Sign Languages.
Chloë Marshall and Gary Morgan

Discourse organisation in adult sign language learners
Aurora Bel & Gary Morgan

Use of space in six L2 learners of a signed language.
Eveline Boers-Visker & Beppie Van den Bogaerde

This is a very exciting event because for the first time, this prestigious conference has a session devoted entirely to the acquisition of a sign language as L2. We hope this event will be a bridge to promote communication between sign language researchers and L2 acquisition experts.

For more information about the conference go to:
http://aclc.uva.nl/conferences/eurosla-23/eurosla-23.html

Kind regards,

Gerardo Ortega
Postdoctoral research fellow
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
Wundtlaan 1, Nijmegen
The Netherlands
http://www.mpi.nl/people/ortega-gerardo