On accent in SL

Boris Fridman Mintz chido at MAC.COM
Sat Feb 23 14:40:40 UTC 2013

Dear Nedelina,

I understand what you mean. Polysyllabic words with relatively complex syllabic structures probably do require additional cognitive effort to be properly articulated.  More coordinative structures need to be synchronized, and attention (stress) needs to be precisely administered. These kinds of complexities have been described in terms of syllabic weight and morphologic complexity.

To deal with this matter in your research, you would have to confront two circumstances:

1) The grammatical formalism that most of our colleagues love is incapable of dealing with sensory-motor coordination issues.
2) The nature of the complexity involved in the articulation of PM + HIM signs.

Forget about the first. Do the second by using Johnson and Liddell´s phonetic model, and keep an open mind to the notion of syllables or rhythmic units in sign languages. A longitudinal acquisition study on this matter would be wonderful.

Good Luck,

Boris Fridman Mintz.