[SPAM] Re: UN consultation on disability inclusion--the perspective of deaf people and sign language linguists is needed

Ulrike Zeshan UZeshan at UCLAN.AC.UK
Tue Mar 26 10:04:53 UTC 2013

Hi, yes, this has just come through to the WFD expert group on sign language.
Ulrike

From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Adam Schembri
Sent: 26 March 2013 03:50
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: UN consultation on disability inclusion--the perspective of deaf people and sign language linguists is needed

Have you forwarded this to WFD, Albert?

Sent from my iPhone

On 26/03/2013, at 2:47 PM, "Albert Bickford" <albert_bickford at SIL.ORG<mailto:albert_bickford at SIL.ORG>> wrote:
Thanks, Jason.  That's precisely why it is important that deaf people (and others who understand these issues) must speak into the UN process about the need to think about language issues when considering deafness.  People who are used to thinking about disabilities generally, but who don't understand deaf language and culture, will almost certainly argue for "inclusion" in ways that result in isolation for deaf people.  Anecdotally, for example, I know of a case in Papua New Guinea where people were arguing for mainstream education on the basis of UN pronouncements about disabilities, but a successful counter-argument was made on the basis of UN pronouncements about indigenous languages and the right to education in a language the child understands.  In other words, the people who are thinking about disability need to be made aware of the linguistic/cultural perspective on deafness, and to think about issues from a deaf perspective.

I submitted a post to the forum this evening, which hopefully will be approved by the moderator within 24 hours. That's something, but it will be more effective if deaf people speak for themselves.  There is already a post (obviously by a hearing person) that advocates inclusion of deaf children in the same schools with hearing--an alternative perspective needs to be presented.

(In writing these messages, I'm also aware that there may not be agreement even within the deaf community about such matters.  Some deaf people may favor mainstreaming in education rather than separate classrooms where a sign language is used.  Where there is disagreement, then that is all the more reason for deaf people to speak up and help the world development community to understand the complexity of the issues and the diversity of views.)

Albert Bickford

SIL International

  Linguistic Services Coordinator, Global Sign Languages Team

  Director, SIL-UND

Please use different email addresses for different topics:

  sign languages: linguistic_services_gslt at sil.org<mailto:linguistic_services_gslt at sil.org>

  SIL-UND: director_silund at sil.org<mailto:director_silund at sil.org>

  other: albert_bickford at sil.org<mailto:albert_bickford at sil.org>

late May through early August:

  2901 University Ave Stop 8217, Grand Forks ND 58202; 701-777-0575

mid-August through mid-May:

  16131 N. Vernon Dr., Tucson AZ 85739; 520-825-1229