[TEACHASL] Sign Langauge Family Map

Woll, Bencie b.woll at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Feb 6 17:30:33 UTC 2014

Lloyd Anderson (Anderson L (1979). 'A comparison of some American, British, Australian and Swedish Signs; evidence on historical changes in signs and some family relationships of sign languages.' Paper presented at the first International Symposium on Sign Language, Stockholm, June 1979) suggested some SL family trees. They are reproduced in Sutton-Spence R,Woll B & Elton F (2001). 'Multilingualism.' In Lucas C (ed.) The sociolinguistics of sign language. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 8-32.

Bencie Woll FBA  BA, MA, PhD
Director, Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre UCL
49 Gordon Square
London WC1H 0PD
www.dcal.ucl.ac.uk
+44 20 7679 8670 (voice)
+44 20 7679 8691 (fax)
+44 20 7679 8693 (Minicom/TDD)
+44 792 024 7640 (Mobile)

From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Miako Rankin
Sent: 06 February 2014 14:57
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: [TEACHASL] Sign Langauge Family Map

I've seen this one going around (attached, hope you can see it - if not, try this link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=721650357845504&set=pb.130754623601750.-2207520000.1391698382.&type=3&theater). Googled "sign language family tree" and this was the one that came up. No idea where it came from or what kind of accuracy it has. Someone's name is at the bottom but it's too small for me to make it out.
Would love to see a linguistically accurate/inclusive/nuanced one.
--Miako

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF2361.232DD5C0]