[Slling-l] Learning (some) BSL at home?

Matthews, Benjamin BMatthews at QMU.AC.UK
Tue Mar 17 08:53:57 UTC 2015

I have used Sign World.  I think they’re still building the more advanced level 6 stuff but it is worth looking at whatever your level.  It’s updated with what’s in the news each month, there’s some linguistic commentary that is good although brief last time I was there, and there’s lots of fingerspelling exercises that I have found useful.  Unusually, they have made a real point of having different regional varieties represented, like a section on number systems for different regions.

Ben Matthews, PhD
Deaf Studies Lecturer
Speech & Hearing Sciences

Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh EH21 6UU
Tel: 0131 474 0000 (voice) Fax: 0131 474 0001
E-Mail: bmatthews at qmu.ac.uk<mailto:bmatthews at qmu.ac.uk>
www.qmu.ac.uk<http://www.qmu.ac.uk/>

I work half-time.
My working hours at the moment are Monday, Tuesday, and half day on Wednesday.

If you need something urgently outside of these times, please email SchoolOffice at qmu.ac.uk<mailto:SchoolOffice at qmu.ac.uk> who will be able to direct your email to an appropriate member of staff.

From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Adam Schembri
Sent: 16 March 2015 23:19
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Learning (some) BSL at home?

Hi Mark
’Sign World’ is a resource for learning BSL online, but I can’t comment on how good it is myself as I’ve never used it, although it’s been put together by some well-known BSL teachers: http://www.signworldlearn.com/learners
I have to put in a plug for our online, usage-based dictionary of BSL, but this should not be used on its own of course as a learning tool but is intended for use in conjunction with classroom or online learning: http://bslsignbank.ucl.ac.uk
Cheers,
Adam
--

Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, PhD https://latrobe.academia.edu/AdamSchembri
Department of Languages & Linguistics | School of Humanities and Social Sciences | College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce | La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia |Tel : +61 3 9479 2887 | Twitter: @AdamCSchembri | Director, Centre for Research on Language Diversity http://www.latrobe.edu.au/crld & Linguistics Discipline Research Program| Sign Language Linguistics Society: http://www.slls.eu<http://www.slls.eu/> | ALLY Network Member supporting GLBTIQ students and staff:  www.latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally<http://www.latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally> http://www.latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally