[Slling-l] signing avatar apps

Wolfe, Rosalee wolfe at CS.DEPAUL.EDU
Wed Dec 14 15:01:48 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,
Our team has been working with Guilherme Lourenço at Universidade Federal de Minas on evaluating productions of Libras via our system at DePaul.   Since the other two systems are available commercially, maybe Guilherme could modify his testing protocol slightly  to encorporate them.

Guilherme:   What do you think?

Warm regards,
Rosalee

From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Smith, Robert
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:16 AM
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: signing avatar apps

Hi all,
Are there any researchers on here who are working on Libras? I have stumbled across two tools (see below) for translating the language pair Portuguese - Libras. As a researcher with no background in either language but with a keen interest in sign language generation and Sign language linguistics, I am interested to see how these tools perform. English publications on both products seem to be thin on the ground.
Both of these products are available commercially and can be found through the links below:

1.       Hand talk (mobile app and website plugin)

a.       http://www.handtalk.me/

2.      Prodeaf (mobile app and website plugin)

a.       http://www.weblibras.com.br/  & http://prodeaf.net/en-us

b.      This product was scheduled to be demonstrated at SLTAT 2015 but as far as I remember, the presenters could not attend.

                                                               i.      Amarim, M., Kimura, R., & Fernandes, J. 2015. ProDeaf - 3D avatar based app for translation from Portuguese to Brazilian Sign Language (Libras). Workshop on Sign Language Translation and Avatar Technology (SLTAT

Regards,

Robert Smith
Lecturer
School of informatics and engineering

E007, Institute of Technology Blanchardstown, Blanchardstown Road North, Dublin 15
Phone: 01 8851029 | Email: robert.smith at itb.ie<mailto:robert.smith at itb.ie> | Web:http://robertsmith2012.wordpress.com/

View our Disclaimer<http://www.itb.ie/disclaimer/disclaimer.html>

ITB Email Disclaimer This is a confidential communication and is intended only for the addressee indicated in the message (or duly authorised to be responsible for the delivery of the message to such person). You are specifically prohibited from copying this message or delivering the same, or any part thereof, to any other person, whomsoever or howsoever, unless you receive written authorisation from us to do. If you are anyone other than the intended addressee, or person duly authorised and responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended addressee, you should destroy this message and notify us immediately.