[Slling-l] Question about SL planning and status

Pfau, Roland R.Pfau at UVA.NL
Sun Oct 9 11:40:10 UTC 2016

Dear Mantrimas,

when it comes to language planning, in particular standardization, the situation in the Netherlands may be of interest, as there have been efforts to standardize the lexicon of Sign Language of the Netherlands (in the context of an effort to gain official recognition of NGT). See the following sources:

Schermer, Trude. 2003. From variant to standard: An overview of the standardization process of the lexicon of Sign Language of the Netherlands over two decades. Sign Language Studies 3(4), 469-486.
Schermer, Trude. 2012. Language planning. In Pfau, R., M. Steinbach & B. Woll (eds.), Sign language. An international handbook (HSK – Handbooks of Linguistics and Communication Science). Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton, 889-908.

Best regards,

Roland.

------------------------
Dr. Roland Pfau