[Slling-l] Please share: CSU-Sacramento Full Time Assistant Professor Position

Rayman, Jennifer K <jrayman@csus.edu> jrayman at CSUS.EDU
Mon Oct 31 15:53:06 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues:

CSU-Sacramento is currently advertising for a new full time position in Deaf Studies. Please forward the following link and job description to any eligible candidates who have completed Doctoral degrees or will be completed by August 2017.  We particularly encourage Deaf individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply.  Review of applications begins November 30, 2016

https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000337462-01

To apply go to the CSUS Job Opportunities page and click for External Applicants, then use the keyword DEAF to find the position listing
http://csus.edu/hr/jobs/index.html

The Deaf Studies program, housed in the College of Education, currently has four full time faculty serving undergraduate majors and minors as well as students from the larger student body meeting language and General Education requirements. The BA in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies takes an interdisciplinary approach to the study of Deaf and hard-of-hearing people in American and world society. The program promotes the understanding of Deaf people as a linguistic and cultural group and encourages students to analyze existing stereotypes and policies relating to Deaf and hard-of-hearing people in order to work both within their own communities and others in effecting change for the betterment of the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community.

A successful California State University, Sacramento faculty member promotes the values celebrated by a public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university. At Sacramento State, the quality of the education we provide is our top priority. In addition to contributing positively to teaching and learning, faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide service to the University and to the greater community. Our campus community represents the broad diversity of our state, and we believe that all are enriched and unified by this diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people with the commitment and ability to work with a diverse student population.

DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
•        Teach lower and upper division Deaf Studies undergraduate courses.
•        Undergraduate advising
•        Engage in scholarly activities.
•        Active participation on department, college and university committees, and engagement in service to the institution.
•        In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining regular and close contact with the Deaf community and community colleges.

QUALIFICATIONS
Required:
•        Earned doctorate in a field related to American Sign Language and Deaf Studies (eg. Anthropology, Communication, Second Language Acquisition, Socio-linguistics, Sociology, Gender & Equity Studies, Ethnic Studies or similar field). ABD candidates will be considered. If ABD, candidates will be required to complete the doctorate by August, 2017.
•        Demonstrates fluency in Academic and conversational American Sign Language.
•        Possess a strong background in theories relevant to Deaf Studies, Deaf Culture & American Sign Language and research methods (Second Language Acquisition, Critical Cultural Studies, Bilingual Pedagogy, Deaf Theory, Foreign Language Education).
•        Demonstrated focus or emphasis in a specific area of Deaf Studies (e.g., social policy, education, cultural studies, language acquisition, second language pedagogy).
•        Demonstrated knowledge of, and professional and/or research experience with deaf individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Preferred:
•        A clearly-defined program of research.
•        Demonstrated success in research and scholarly activities.
•        Demonstrated experience and effectiveness in college level, undergraduate and/or graduate level teaching.
•        The Deaf Studies Program faculty further values leadership potential, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds.
•        Demonstrated reciprocal relationships in the Deaf community and visible involvement in the wider Deaf community.
•        Demonstrated superior facility with using technology either in the classroom and/or online instruction.

APPOINTMENT
The position is tenure-track and will be at the Assistant Professor rank beginning with the Fall 2017 semester. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and professional/research experience.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.

APPLICATION REVIEW
Review of applications will begin November 30, 2016; position open until filled.

CONTACT:
Jennifer Rayman, Ph.D.
New Faculty Hire Committee Chair
jrayman at csus.edu