[Slling-l] MPaL 2017: Many Paths to language Workshop

Gerardo Ortega gerardo.ortega at MPI.NL
Mon Jul 24 07:33:09 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a workshop on first language acquisition to be held at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics on October 6-8. For more information about the event, please contact the organisers directly mpal at mpi.nl

Best,
Gerardo

##########
MPaL 2017: Many Paths to Language Workshop

6–8 October 2017
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands.

Children show astonishing variation in the way they acquire their native language(s)—each developmental milestone in both production and comprehension is marked by meaningful individual differences. This 3-day workshop explores:

·         Children’s linguistic and cultural environments, their non-linguistic skills, and the structural properties of the languages they are acquiring as possible sources of variation, alongside
·         The implications of this variation for the mechanisms that drive and support child language acquisition given the overall robustness of learning in the face of this variability.

Abstract submission is now closed, but registration is free and we invite interested researchers to participate as non-presenters. Registration will open in early August. More information can be found at http://www.mpi.nl/events/mpal

Invited speakers

Damián Blasi (University of Zurich)
Erika Hoff (Florida Atlantic University)
Elena Lieven (University of Manchester)

Work sessions:

The workshop will also include small-group “work” sessions aimed at advancing interdisciplinary discussion and overcoming methodological hurdles in documenting and interpreting variation in this context. We hope to have a mix of theoretical and practical topics represented.

Virtual participation:
We will do our best to ensure virtual participation for those who would like to attend remotely or who are unable to present because of government-implemented travel restrictions.

Questions? Please contact us at mpal at mpi.nl