[Slling-l] Papers on Deaf Literacy

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Apr 24 22:45:57 UTC 2019

Hi Natasha,

If your student is interested in sign languages other than ASL, she may
want to consider Brazilian Sign Language.  In Brazil, there are 18
Federal Universities and 12 public schools that use SignWriting to write
their sign language.  They have found that skills in writing sign
language translate into skills in writing Portuguese. There is research
available, but most of it is written in Portuguese.  Here is a small set.

https://repositorio.ufsc.br/handle/123456789/177791
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1174381.pdf
https://www.academia.edu/2445859/SIGNWRITING_ESCRITA_VISUAL_PARA_LINGUA_DE_SINAIS_%C5%93_O_PROCESSO_DE_SINALIZA%C3%87%C3%80O_ESCRITA1

In the last link above, it contains this paragraph as translated into
English.

"The studies I have carried out, although unrelated to academic studies,
point to the fact that the learning of sign language writing enables the
deaf student to develop their cognitive skills in a written form of the
language that they have already developed competently. This learning
process of written signaling can occur both in the preschool and in the
initial grades of elementary school. Because it is a symbolic process,
this writing is an effective instrument for the realization of the most
sophisticated cognitive processes that allow cognitive development."

Regards,
-Steve