[Slling-l] Acadeafic

Maartje De Meulder maartje.demeulder at VERBEELD.BE
Tue May 21 09:32:52 UTC 2019

Dear all,

last week we (Annellies Kusters, Erin Moriarty, Joseph Murray and I) launched Acadeafic.

Acadeafic is an online platform for scholars doing research on sign languages and deaf people to share their work with other scholars, policymakers, and the wider public: https://acadeafic.org/ <https://acadeafic.org/>

We have taken this initiative because while there is an amazing output of research on sign languages and Deaf Studies, as a research community, we can do more to share our research with each other and with wider groups, also beyond academia. This website gives you as a researcher an opportunity to do exactly that: talk about your research and interests in an accessible way.

We are currently looking for contributors for Acadeafic. This is an academic website, so we are looking for v/blogs about recent publications but we are also open to contributions about broader academic topics, for example about research methods, research ethics, navigating the academy as a deaf researcher (or hearing academic in SL/Deaf Studies research), etc.

Note this is a v/blog and not an academic signed publication. The aim is to make the main points of your work accessible to a wider audience. This means the posting in English is fairly short, between 800-2,000 words and should be written in accessible language. The bar for videos is also not arduous - we're asking for a 4-9 minute video with a reasonably clear background, preferably in IS but this can also be ASL, BSL, or another sign language. The videos for the first two vlogs were shot on smartphones without any editing work so no special technical requirements or expertise needed. You can find more info on the website’s editorial guidelines page <https://acadeafic.org/how/>.

If you are ready to submit something, please get in touch with one of us. Your piece will then be reviewed and when it meets editorial standards, it will be published. We have a publication schedule so it would be helpful to let us know when you think you could submit something.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, you can find our contact on the website’s About page.

We look forward to receiving your submission!

Best wishes,
Maartje De Meulder

p.s. This site is maintained by a network of volunteering deaf academics. Even your smallest contribution will help us with the costs of this initiative, like hosting and media production. You can find a PayPal button on the website.