[Slling-l] Full integration of ASL into commercial production of musical

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 26 14:41:55 UTC 2020

*Ogden [Utah] theater debuts first ASL production of Newsies with three
deaf lead actors*

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/ogden-theater-debuts-first-asl-production-of-newsies-with-three-deaf-lead-actors

*Updated: 11:51 PM, Feb 24, 2020<br>*
*By: Elle Thomas*

OGDEN, Utah – American Sign Language is taking center stage for the first
time in the Beehive State with a first-ever ASL adaptation of the Broadway
musical, "Newsies."

A dozen actors, decked out in full hair and makeup, filled the small
back-stage area at the Ziegfeld Theater in Ogden Monday evening.

“Yeah, I have that second part, I think you’re right,” one actress said to
another as they stood in-front of the mirrors practicing their moves and
lines.

It’s the same high-energy, fast-paced, Disney Broadway musical you know and
love.

“Every actor uses English, the script is still completely intact, every
note is still sung,” Parry said.

But there is one major twist.

“Every person on stage also signs their own lines,” Parry continued. “We
have three deaf actors in the cast.”

For the first time, the entire production is being performed in American
Sign Language. It’s also the first time an ASL production has been seen in
the state of Utah.

American Sign Language was ‘choreographed seamlessly’ into every line, to
emphasize the emotion in each scene, song and dance.

*...*

*(Click link for full story)*

MAM