[Slling-l] [SPAM] Question about your FEAST talk --- MORE vs BEAT

patricia lessard plessard57 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Jun 23 16:06:21 UTC 2020

 Good morning Ronnie,
I see that you have a FEAST "social session" today at 7pm Paris time ...   unfortunately I cannot make that -- work beckons me ... sigh
I do have a question about the great presentation that Sandra did  [I don't seem to have a current email for her]
I am wondering if you encountered the ASL sign which is all to often transcribed as WORSE in any of your elicitations?   especially about being more wet ...

I have had a hard time convincing people that it is not really WORSE -- I believe it comes for LSF 'plus' for "more than" and can have a positive connotation as well.   Marie Philip and MJ have often used this sign when something is being compared -- either between two things or people, or in a sequence of events of one person where each subsequent iteration or subsequent event intensifies or adds to the effect of the previous.

Have you seen this?    and what do you think?    Is there work on WORSE somewhere?
I hope this all makes sense.
Thank you!   I know you are crazy busy --- I am assuming that has not changed despite the fact that we are all "staying put"

Hope to see you again at some future conference.

Patty Lessard   [interpreter and also adjunct faculty]