[Slling-l] Springer Nature to retract chapter on sign language critics call “unbelievably insulting”

Mike Morgan mwmbombay at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 8 13:46:38 UTC 2021

As a linguist who lives and works in India part-time, let me say that such
"research" is indeed the flavour of the month among South Asia (or at least
Indian, pakistani and Bangladeshi) IT graduate students, it seems...

And the terminology, appalling though it is, finds its way into the pages
of some of the nation's best daily newspapers (and even more often into
lesser ones). There ARE moves in the "right" direction; just a year or a
bit more ago the All india Railways  issued a memorandum (if memory serves)
that the terminology "and Dumb" would no longer be used (for example, on
rail passes).

While the temrinology "deaf-dumb" or "deaf and dumb" has been an issue on
which many leaders in the Deaf community have spoken, it must be remembered
that there are local Deaf Associations  which maintain their old names
"Such-and-Such-a-Town Deaf and Dumb Society" etc. Note, however, these tend
to exist mostly in smaller towns and in areas where English is a language
used naturally by very few people ,...and also that such names are
inherited from generations ago and it was not all that long ago when this
was  British usage as well, and not just in  the colonial territories ...
NOT that that is an excuse.

Returning to the "research" it should also be noted that quite often
(possibly more often than not), the "sign language" which is "studied" is
ONLY the finger spelling system... and the finger spelling system studied
is also quite often that of ASL NOT of India's own indigenous finger
spelling system(s). This is perhaps not quite so big a problem as it could
be, as there are localities (the metropolitan area of Bangalore/Bengaluru)
where Deaf use the ASL system primarily.

One could go on and on about this problem... but as a linguist and a
(peripheral) member of the Deaf community, whenever I get any requests for
collaboration, advice, etc, I always immediately deposit them where they
belong... in the garbage. (Although, if I was in it for the money, I should
probably say "yes!"... I am guessing that such projects are much better
funded than the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre in Delhi.)

--
Dr Michael W Morgan
mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || માઈક || মাঈক || மாஈக ||  مایک ||мика ||