[Soundsymbolism] Call for Posters/Summer School Registration- Minds, Mechanisms and Interaction in the Evolution of Language

Alan Nielsen alanksnielsen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 12:16:31 UTC 2017

In September, the Language and Cognition Department at the Max Planck
Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen, The Netherlands, will be
hosting a workshop and Summer School.

General Information about the workshop, as well as registration can be
found here:

http://www.mpi.nl/events/MMIEL

Talk slots are full, but we are currently accepting poster submission until
July 9.

Most notably, especially for younger academics, we are also hosting a
Summer School on Experimental Design:

September Tutorial in Empiricism: Practical Help for Experimental Novices

Register here <http://www.mpi.nl/events/MMIEL/summer-school/registration>

In September, the Language Evolution and Interaction Scholars of Nijmegen
(LEvInSoN group), based in the Language and Cognition Department at the Max
Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics will be hosting a workshop about
research in Language Evolution and Interaction (September 21-22).

As an addition to this workshop, we will be hosting a short tutorial series
(Sept 20 & 23) covering experimental and statistical methods that should be
of broad interest to a general audience. In this tutorial series, we will
cover all aspects of creating, hosting, and analysing the data from a set
of experiments that will be run live (online) during the workshop.

On the first day (September 20th), students will be led through the
conception of an experiment exploring crossmodal perceptual biases. The
morning sessions will include sections about aligning research questions
with experimental design and data analysis, outlining the basics of the
intended experiments, and a brief section on computational models and how
they can be used to generate experimental predictions.

In the afternoon session, we will cover experimental workflows and trial
structure, troubleshooting, and online deployment of experiments.

The experiments created on Day 1 will be run online during the workshop
proper (Sept 21-22), and the tutorial will reconvene on September 23 to
cover data analysis and visualisation. In the morning sessions of September
23rd, we will cover preparation and sanitation of data, some basics about
the statistical logic underlying mixed effects models, and finally live
analyse the results of the experiment, focusing on how to interpret and
report results. Following this, we will have a brief session on further
statistical procedures like bootstrapping, and some visualisation
techniques for the results.

Finally, as a bonus session, after lunch we will have a modelling-focused
session where we discuss how to use experimental data as input for Bayesian
models to generate predictions for future experiments and to generalise
results to larger populations of interacting agents.

Across all session we will make use of and provide guidance with a number
of software packages, including R (and R Markdown), Python, Presentation,
and jsPsych. For each stage of experiment design, hosting, and data
analysis, we will make use of a single piece of software (Python for Trial
Structuring, jsPsych for Deployment, R for statistical analysis, Python for
modelling), but will provide additional online modules that run parallel
wherever possible: e.g. we will include Python scripts that structure,
implement, and analyse the results of the same experiment. Thus, whatever
platforms are more relevant to each student will be given as complete of
coverage as possible.

Registration is free, but required. Spots are limited, and a waitlist will
be established if necessary.
Organisers:

   - Alan Nielsen
   - Ashley Micklos
   - Hannah Little

I hope that some of you will be interested in attending this workshop- the
study we are conducting in the workshop is directly related to
iconicity/sound symbolism, so this would be an excellent place for junior
academics (Masters and PhD students) to pick up needed skills for
designing, coding, and analysing experiments.

So, junior academics on this list, please consider registering. Other
folks, please pass this message on to your students or departments

Cheers,
Alan Nielsen