SignBank 2002 Beta Test May 1, 2002

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Thu Aug 22 13:50:27 UTC 2002

Yes, I've just been trying it, and am impressed enough to get my boss to
buy the FileMaker so we can use the SignBank and the Filemaker to do our
new research project: collect and describe the signs for mathematical
terminology in Norwegian SL, regarding both lingustic and conceptual
features. Goal: to try to find if some signs seems to work better than
others, and if so, are there certain things that  caracterize the 'good'
or the 'poor' signs, so that this can be taken into account when new signs
are constructed around in schools and colleges. As deaf people have
generally been under-educated, and there is now an explosion of education
in the Norwegian deaf population, the demand of technical signs is huge.

So in short: I did find the SignBank to provide what it promised, to be
easy to navigate, to give a lot of opportunities for different formats,
etc. But I do see that editors of dictionaries have a tremendous work to
do...

Ingvild, Norway

SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA skriver: