Teacher Certification...

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 30 02:44:13 UTC 2002

This is just a thought.  As the deaf world becomes more accepting of SW, I
think that certification in teaching sign language like the American ASLTA
(ASL Teachers Association) will include certification in SW as well.  Or
perhaps that could be a separate certification ... over time.  Perhaps it
would be better for there to be a separate certifying body who are either
trained by Valerie or who have been trained by Valerie in the past who
become the new certifiers.  Maybe they could become that.  We can use the
web ... to a point, but in my thinking, certification by individuals is
still pretty important depending on what kind of certification we are trying
to set up.  If it is simply knowledge, the web might work.  But if it is
application of the knowledge to specific situations and the ability to adapt
the SW or the teaching of SW to various situations, then it requires a
person to evaluate that.

That's what it seems to me at this time.  Maybe my thoughts would change if
we truly can come up with a new alternative via web.  I suppose video
conferencing and such could help.  But that is only for people with DSL or
cable modem service.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Thiessen