need some answers !!

MGirod & ACPrélaz girodmarc at VTX.CH
Fri Nov 1 13:08:45 UTC 2002

Dear members of the list...  I'm stuck with my project... and
deseperately need your help. Can those of you who do have experience
with deaf children using SW, answer the questionnaire below... which I
already sent a few month ago ... and never got any answer

FRENCH / ENGLISH/ GERMAN
SEE QUE b¥ IONNAIRE below

This message was the one I sent on august 13:
Dear members of the list, dear Valerie

Like I already told you in a mail a few monts ago, I would like to write
a paper on the influence of SW on the development of
metalinguistics M±  skills in the deaf children. I did proposed to the
team I worked with to use SignWriting in their classes. The team wants
to think about it before starting up such a project. They are not
completely convinced and do not want to undertake to do it without being
sure that SW can be beneficial to the children. I also believe that,
like everywhere else, the team is overloaded with work and hesitates to
make the effort to learn a new system. There are always reticence
towards innovation !
As we MÖ e seen in the mail of Flavio Medina (February 2002 lack of
understanding of SW, so frustrating) there are also a certain number of
misconceptions concerning sign languages and by extension conerning SW.
Lots of people believe that the languages will be in competition and
that if the child do learn SL first, it will have negative implications
on learning the second language. These points of view are contradictory
to the recent studies on bilingualism (Prinz& Strong 1998, Grosjean
1999) which show, on the contrary, that good linguistic skills in a
first language will facilitate the access to the second language. In
that sense I M>  convinced SW can help deaf children access to french
literacy (french in my country O  but it could be any other language O

In short, here are my project(s):
The BIG project which is not realizable for now is to make a study on
the influence of SW  on the acquisition of written language
(literacy). This project could be my thesis at university O  but that M±
for the future. Currently, there are no schools in the French-speaking
part of Switzerland who use SW. Hopefully I M_ l succeed in convincing
them to try SW and get involved in a literacy project with SW)
In a first stage I MÖ e got to write  a document for the University of
Neuchatel (Switzerland) in order to finish my studies O  I would thus wish
to make an investigation towards the teachers using SignWriting in their
class with deaf children. I indeed wish to make a synthesis which will
allow the teachers of the French-speaking part of Switzerland to have a
good idea of the contributions, limits, avantages, ect. of SW. This
document could be the basis of my future work O  and it will certainly
bring me some arguments to convince the schools to enter the SW project.

For this, I need your assistance and hope you M_ l accept to help me. I
thank you by advance for taking a little of your time to fill out the
small questionnaire below. In order to make it easier for you , I MÖ e
written it in 3 different languages (French, English and German). (there
will probably be some translation problems, I hope you M_ l forgive me !)

I M>  looking forward to Reading your different answers and
Hope to hear from you soon

Yours truly

Anne-Claude

Chers membres de la liste, ch í° e Val }° ie

Comme je vous l Mß i d }^Ú rit dans un courrier il y a de cela quelques mois
d },GP  je souhaiterais faire un travail de r }^Ø lexion sur l Mº nfluence de
SW sur le d }Ö eloppement des comp }² ences m }² alinguistiques chez l MÞ nfant
sourd. J Mß i propos Z \  l M  quipe dans laquelle je travaillais une
utilisation de SignWriting dans le cadre de leurs classes. L M  quipe
souhaite bien r }^Ø l }^Ú hir  \  la question avant de se lancer dans un tel
projet. Ils ne sont pas convaincus et ne veulent pas s MÞ ngager sans  J² re
s S° s que SW puisse  J² re b }?}^Ø ique aux enfants. Je crois aussi que, comme
partout, l M  quipe est surcharg }Þ  de travail et h }± ite  \  faire l MÞ ffort
d Mß pprendre un nouveau syst í> e, il y a des r }² icences face  \  la
nouveaut Z   Comme nous l Mß vons vu dans le mail de Flavio Medina (f }Ö rier
2002 lack of understanding of SW, so frustrating) il y a aussi un
certain nombre d Mº d }Þ s re ìü es concernant la langue des signes
et par extension concernant SW. Beaucoup de personnes croient que les
langues vont  J² re en concurrence et qu Mß pprendre l Mü ne (la LS) va avoir
des implications n }^Ý atives sur l Mß pprentissage de la seconde. Tout ceci
ne tient absolument pas compte des  }² udes r }^Ú entes sur le bilinguisme
(Prinz& Strong 1998, Grosjean 1999) qui montrent au contraire que le
bonnes comp }² ences
linguistiques dans une premi í° e langue vont servir de tremplin pour
l Mß cquisition de la langue seconde.

En r }± um Z  voici mon(mes) projet(s) : Le projet le plus important mais
qui n MÞ st pas r }ß lisable pour l Mº nstant est celui de faire une  }² ude sur
l Mº nfluence de l Mß pport de SW pour l Mß cquisition de la langue  }^Ú rite
majoritaire. Ce projet est de grande envergure, et pourrait  J² re mon
travail de th í± e.

Actuellement, nous n Mß vons pas encore d M  coles en Suisse romande qui
utilise SW. Dans une premi í° e  }² ape (petit travail
d Mß pprofondissement dans le cadre de mes  }² udes de linguistique
G_Mü niversit Z  de Neuch I² el (Suisse)), je souhaiterais donc faire une
enqu J² e aupr í±  de vous, les enseignants utilisant SignWriting dans vos
classes aupr í±  d MÞ nfants sourds. Je souhaite en effet
faire une synth í± e qui permettra aux enseignants de Suisse romande de se
faire une bonne id }Þ  de ce qu Mº ls peuvent attendre d Mü n tel outil, de
ses apports, limites, etc. Pour ceci, j Mß i besoin de votre aide et
j MÞ sp í° e que vous accepterez de m Mß ider.

Je vous remercie par avance de bien vouloir prendre un peu de votre
temps pour remplir le petit questionnaire ci-dessous.
Afin de vous faciliter la t I^Ú he O  je l Mß i r }Ý ig Z  en 3 langues (fran ìß is,
anglais et allemand) O  avec les  }Ö entuels probl í> es de traduction qui
subsisteront O  vous m MÞ n excuserez !

Dans l Mß ttente de prochaines r }^È onses de votre part, je vous envoie mes
salutations les meilleures.

Anne-Claude

Questionnaire:
1. Since when do use you SignWriting in your class?
2. For which reasons did you decide to use SW ? In what aim ?
3. What were your expectations towards this tool?
4. Has it been difficult to learn tu use SW ?
5. How often do you use SW within your class? (how many periods/week
approximately, estimation.)
6. For which activities (school branches, etc.) do you use SW with the
children?
7. Does this tool meet your needs? (thank you to explain)
8. From which age do you introduce SW with the deaf children? (do you
estimate that one can compare with the introduction of the written
language in the hearing children or do you think that SW can be
introduced more precociously with the deaf children, from its very
iconic
aspect)
9. Do the children spontaneously use (production) SW to note
information, to write something to a friend, to remember a sign, etc?
(give
some examples)
10. Do you have the impression that using SW changed something for the
deaf children towards writing? (if yes thank you to explain)
11. Is SW useful for the deaf children?
12. Which are the limits of the use of SW in class?

Questionnaire :

1. Depuis quand utilisez-vous SignWriting dans votre classe ?
2. Pour quelles raisons avez-vous d }^Ú id Z  d Mü tiliser SW ?
3. Quelles  }² aient vos attentes face  \  cet outil ?
4. Est-ce qu Mº l vous a  }²Z  difficile d Mß pprendre  \  utiliser SW ?
5. Utilisez-vous beaucoup SW dans le cadre de la classe ? (combien de
p }° iodes par semaine environ, ou estimation O
6. Pour quelles activit }±  (branches scolaires, etc.) utilisez vous SW
avec les enfants ?
7. Est-ce que cet outil r }^È ond  \  vos besoins ? (merci d MÞ xpliquer)
8.  A partir de quel  I^Ý e introduisez-vous SW aupr í±  des enfants sourds ?
(estimez-vous qu M× n puisse comparer avec l Mº ntroduction de
l M  crit chez les enfants entendants ou pensez-vous que SW
puisse  J² re introduit plus pr }^Ú ocement avec les enfants sourds, de par
son aspect tr í±  iconique)
9.  Les enfants utilisent-ils spontan }> ent (production) SW pour noter
une information,  }^Ú rire qqch  \  un copain, se rappeler un signe, etc. ?
(donnez quelques exemples)
10. Avez-vous l Mº mpression que le fait d Mü tiliser SW a chang Z  quelque
chose pour les enfants sourds face  \  l M  crit ? (si oui merci
d MÞ xpliquer)
11. En quoi SW est-il utile aux enfants sourds ?
12. Quelles sont pour vous les limites de SW ?

Fragebogen:

1. Seit wann benutzen Sie SignWriting in Ihrer Klasse?
2. Aus welchem Grund haben Sie beschlossen SW zu benutzen ?
3. Welches waren Ihre Erwartungen angesichts dieses Werkzeuges?
4. Ist es schwierig f ^?^?  Sie gewesen, SW zu lernen?
5. Benutzen Sie viel SW in ihrer Klasse? (wieviel Perioden pro Woche
ungef ʬ r oder Sch ʲ zung.)
6. F ^?^? , welche Aktivit ʲ en (Schulzweige usw..) benutzt Sie SW mit den
Kindern?
7. Hat dieses Werkzeug Ihren Erfordernissen entspricht? (danke zu
erkl Ê° en)
8. Ab Welchem Alter f ^?^? ren Sie SW bei den tauben Kindern ein? (denken
Sie dass man es mit die h ô° enden Kinder vergleichen kann
oder denken Sie das den tauben Kindern SW fr ^?^? er  lernen k ô? nen als SW
sehr ikonisch ist)
9. Benutzen die Kinder spontan (Produktion) SW, um eine Information
festzustellen, um etwas an einen Freund zu schreiben, um sich an
ein Zeichen zu errinern, usw.? (geben Sie einige Beispiele)
10. Haben Sie den Eindruck, dass es f ^?^?  die tauben Kinder etwas ge Ê? dert
hat, SW zu benutzen angesichts schreiben (danke zu erkl Ê° en)
11. Ist SW n ^?^? zlich f ^?^?  den tauben Kindern?
12. Was sind f ^?^?  Sie die Grenzen von SW?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Looking forward to reading your answers

Take care

A-Claude