SignWriting, Deaf Children, Bilingualism

Fri Oct 18 18:57:58 UTC 2002

On July 24, 2002, Arnfinn Muruvik Vonen in Norway wrote:
>My name is Arnfinn M. Vonen. I have just joined your list, on Ingvild
>Roald's suggestion (I think she anonymously referred to me in a message to
>the list yesterday). I am a professor at the University of Oslo, working on
>sign language and deaf bilingualism, among other things...

SignWriting List
October 18, 2002

Dear SW Listers, and Dr. Vonen -

Please forgive my long delay in welcoming you to the SignWriting List, Dr. Vonen...

I am interested in your work with deaf bilingualism. In fact, another professor focusing on deaf bilingualism at the University of Neuchatel in French-Switzerland, Dr. Francois Grosjean, contacted me last Spring to ask if we had research on SignWriting and deaf bilingualism. Francois sent me some published papers on his research in this area. It has been on the back of mind for a long time....There are some new developments regarding SignWriting and Deaf children now...

But first, perhaps you could share with us? Can you tell us about your research at the University of Oslo?