Sorting by SW Location Symbols

Thu Oct 24 20:06:17 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
October 24, 2002

From: "Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa" <rocha at atlas.ucpel.tche.br>
Subject: Re:      Sorting by SW Location Symbols
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002

Dear Valerie,

  I think this location symbol is real, great contribution to the problem of
searching signs. It remembers me those round symbols you have in dance
writing, for marking the direction the dancer is facing at.

 I'd like to ask you about another thing that SignWriting makes implicit,
namely, the problem of the place wherethe writer is placing himself. I can't
give you examples right now, but obviously there are signs that can equally
well be wrtten with the writer placing himself behind the signer or placing
himself above the signer.

 When searching SignBank, it maybe necessary to specify if you want to
search for signs written from the back view, or from the top view, or form
either. In a bank with plenty of signs, there should be different results
for each query. So, maybe a symbol for that would be useful too.

 Do you agree?

 All the best,

 Antônio Carlos

P.S.: I'm writing directly to you, not to the list, because I'm (still) too
busy and I'm unable to follow list discussions, so I'm trying to avoid to
get envolved in any of the lists I'm in. But please feel free to publish the
message, or parts of it, if you find it useful.