New Posting: Official SSS for SignBank 2002

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 6 14:12:35 UTC 2002

I see what you are getting at, Valerie.

I am trying to understand how position 03 is attached
to the Cup handshape open to the left when I thought
orientation 01 through 08 was determined by the wrist
flexion, starting with the base handshape of the index
finger vertical as position 01 with no wrist flexion
on the hand.

The wrist flexion for position 01 on the index finger
is vertical.  The wrist flexion for position 07 (where
the right index finger would be pointing to the right)
for the  index finger is apparently the default 01
position for the Cup hand.

I hope people understand that this is an honest query
into the logic of the system, looking at the
physiology of the production of the handshape, the
wrist flexion involved and the movement of the hand.

I am sorry for being disruptive, misunderstanding or
any other misconstruance.

Charles Butler

--- Valerie Sutton <Sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> Sept. 5, 2002
>
> Hello Everyone and Charles!
> When you start using SignBank, you will see that all
> rotations are
> there and always will be.
>
> In the SSS listing on the web, I listed the first
> flop-rotation of
> every symbol in SignBank.  The first position out of
> the 96 rotations
> is "Flop-01 and Rotation 01". Take a look at the
> attached diagram...I
> circled it in red.
>
> Some symbols, like the C hand, actually look better
> if they are
> listed in the Flop01-Rotation03 position, while
> others, like the
> Index Finger, look better in the Flop01-Rotation01
> position. I am
> aware of that...In the past I took the trouble of
> going in and
> changing some of the handshapes to Rotation 03 just
> for listing
> purposes...This took a lot of time. So in time I can
> that. Meanwhile, at least you have all the new
> numbers for SSS-2002.
> Val ;-)

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=SSS-Listing.gif;
x-mac-type=47494666; x-mac-creator=3842494D